Calvary Baptist Church was organized May 25th 1947 with fourteen charter members in a small, one room building at the corner of Sycamore and Ohio streets. They had also met in a tent (which was a first for Southern Baptists in Kansas.
Keith Hamm became the first pastor in August of 1947. A three week revival was held and fourteen people joined the church. At the end of the first year, church membership totaled 54.
Calvary has always been interested in mission work. Over the years Calvary has been instrumental in starting missions in Carona, Hallowell, West Mineral and currently involved with a new evangelistic mission work in Weir.